To Google or Not to Google Your Name

Googling ones name is perhaps a habit done by people who are bored enough and feeling so uninspired to do anything else that's more brain challenging. Like I sometimes am, which is why I google my name sometimes. Or like this afternoon.

If you are a famous celebrity it's probably a good practice never to google your name as it might turn out some nasty result you might not want to read about. Or if you are a wannabe famous celebrity perhaps you do google your name several times a day just to see who has you in the news reel and what they have to say about you. If it's something unflattering then you can rant to your friends what a jerk so and so is.

Well I'm not any of those, I'm more like the first kind, bored and trying to see where my articles are actually going. On the first few pages the usual suspects turn up. Wikinut, Bukisa, Factoidz, etc (2021: RIP content mills). 
 
From time to time, some unknown sites with a copy of my article like the one I wrote about coffee turning up in a website selling civet coffee. Or one with a garbled version of my article about learning spanish online. They probably used one of those article generator things. Probably used a very bad one because I couldn't make much sense of it. The bad news is that my name is on it. Another version of this same article is one that was translated into French. Didn't know I can speak French.

The one I like most though is the review that listed me as one of the most promising poetesses in FilipinoWriters.com (2019: website no longer exists 😥). Not that I'm already famous or anything.

Just saying.

UPDATE:

That last paragraph sounded a tad egotistical, just got carried away, forgive a poet wannabe. ;-)

I was revisiting the links though to check which ones still work and which ones no longer exist and I ended up rereading what the person who called me promising poetess said about my poetry. His name is Alexander Dagrit. (hey dude, this is a bit late but thanks!)

mary jane grueso -- a romantic and self-centered poetess. With regard to love, she weaves her own definition of it (“Loving You”), starves of it and long for its assuaging touch (“Famish”), cries for an undying one (“8 am”), and swims in the past of a lost one (“Evaporation of Thoughts”). Her egoistical tendencies are buoyed when she becomes indifferent to people and things around her (“Apathy”), when she is defeated by self-weaved fears (“Reason of Fear”), when bitterness engulfs her (“Sadness”), when she tries to isolate herself in self-condemnation (“Purgatory of Thoughts”), and when failures totally mock her (“The Taunting Rain Kept Falling”). She thinks that it is sadness that curtails life (“Life Inevitably Ends In Tears”, but she has great dreams of breaking free and flying like a lovely butterfly … a writer (“I am a butterfly”). Her poetry is free verse, eccentric, capricious, and sometimes gloomy.

Reading his summation of what my poetry was about made me pause and think. Looking back, how he described and enumerated my poems was the story of my life. I say was because all of that is now in the past. 
 
My perspective has changed. 
 
I realized if you want meaning and positivity in life you need to choose it and not wallow in the bad stuffs.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Become A Thiller Writer

Why I Ditched My Purchased Domain Name and Returned to Free Blogger

Wallace Learns to Swim