What is Science Fiction Poetry?


What is science fiction poetry? - cover image of a spaceship in space

Yesterday I thought I was being innovative. 

I was thinking, what if I write a science fiction themed poem? I love science fiction and I love writing poems so why not combine the two? I bet nobody has thought of that yet. One click on google and my dreams of starting an SF poetry movement was crushed.

There is an SF poets movement. 

In fact, it has been in existence way before I was even born. 1978 to be exact. 

Maybe even older, the Science Fiction Poetry Association or SFDA was founded in 1978. That leads one to think that the movement has been moving way before that, as most movements usually does. 

Confused? Suffice it to say that SF poetry is way older than I am.

What is Science Fiction Poetry?

We all know what Science Fiction is. 

And I'm sure you have had occasion to read a poem or two way before you ever picked up a twilight book. What comes to mind when you see these two together in one sentence? 

Personally I think it could be the future of poetry. It has been around yes, but how many of you have actually heard about it til now? I haven´t. Like I said, I thought I was having a eureka moment there. 

Drats!

A Science Fiction poem could be haiku short, or epic long like Beowulf. The style totally depends on the poet. 

It could follow the traditional rhyming and metered path or the flamboyant approach of modern poetry. 

What sets science fiction poetry apart is simply the topic. Short definition —it is science fiction in poetry form.

Why did I say that it could be the future of poetry? Because I think that modern poetry is rife with contemporary society angst and hedonistic self-flagellation of depressing thoughts. 

It´s sad. 

It seems modern poets have completely abandoned Wordsworth´s world of idyllic daffodil infused musings. Perhaps because it is no longer appropriate. 

As to the seediness of the world which most poets turn to as subject, I think it has always been seedy, technology simply forced humanity to look straight through its brutality. 

In Wordsworth´s time, people escape reality by revelling in the beauty of nature, we in this century look to technology for escape.When the angst and self-flagellation grow old, I believe poets will again turn to what is ideally beautiful, perhaps to the science fiction world. A world which is now knocking on the doorstep of our reality.

The Future of Science Fiction

I love science fiction. 

Technology is bringing us closer every day to a world where SF is no longer fiction. But as humanity´s thirst for knowledge and discovery seems unquenchable, it seems SF will stay. 

It then becomes an SF author or poet´s duty to introduce us to Vernean worlds every time. The genre becomes redundant otherwise, as technology continues to catch up with Science Fiction

But what about Science Fiction poetry? 

Do you think people will catch up and embrace this genre? 

Or will it be so other worldly that people will continue to dismiss it to the sidelines?

 

Popular posts from this blog

How to Become A Thiller Writer

Why I Ditched My Purchased Domain Name and Returned to Free Blogger

A cheesy love poem